- 1). Make a sketch of your bed on a piece of scratch paper.
- 2). Draw some canopy designs into the sketch. Consider wall applications, such as a crown canopy or shelf canopy. A crown or shelf canopy would extend from the wall; much like a drape does on a window. There is no set style or size for crown canopies, most start small and tapered then flow down the wall and extend over the bed.
- 3). Look closely at the ceiling above the bed to see if it can accommodate curtain rods if you decide on a traditional canopy. For instance, a curved or cathedral ceiling may make attaching rods difficult. As an alternative, consider using hooks or loops and draping the fabric through the hoop to create a tent like style or clipping the fabric to the holder. This would require less ceiling and work better with odd-shaped spaces.
- 4). List the colors you want for the room. Decide if you want a new spread and drapes. If you are redecorating, this is an ideal time to change out those items and develop a new color scheme for the room.
- 5). Create a fabric list for the canopy. Decide whether you want sheer panels, a solid fabric or possibly a netting style.
- 6). Purchase the hardware for the canopy. Consider cornice board, curtain rods, hooks or even heavy wood trim.
- 7). Go shopping for fabric after choosing the appropriate hardware. Take your list of color options to the craft or fabric store. If you are considering new curtains and a spread, buy all the items at once, or purchase enough fabric so you can cut a swatch. Consider purchasing prehemmed fabric, such as inexpensive sheer panels, to save time.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Choosing Fashionable Dog Clothing
- Neutering Your Dog - It"s Only a Matter of Time Part 1
- A Feist Puppy Dog Makes an Excellent Pet
- Shopping For Dog Toys
- Finding the Right Food for Your Bichon
- How to Use Collapsible Portable Fencing
- Is it Time to Start Grooming Your Dog at Home? Cutting the Costs of Dog Grooming
- When the Shih Tzu Graduated From Royal Companion to Household Pet
- The Top 10 Canines In Movies, Period
- How to Train Bloodhounds
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us