- 1). Get between seven and eight hours of sleep every night because being well rested improves your ability to recall details. Participate in relaxing activities, such as taking a shower, reading a book or listening to calming music for 30 minutes before you go to bed so you can fall asleep more easily. Drink herbal tea and avoid caffeinated drinks in the evenings.
- 2). Commit to an exercise program in order to improve your brain function. Start with brisk walking for 25-30 minutes a day. Plan time to exercise two to three times every week. Ask a friend if he will keep you responsible to your commitment and exercise with you at least once a week.
- 3). Increase your mental activity. Enroll in a foreign language course or join a salsa or waltzing class at a local dance studio. Spend 20 minutes a day working the crossword puzzle in the local newspaper or learn to play the piano. Memorize passages from your favorite books or holy text. Practice saying numbers backwards. Start with 100 or 1,000.
- 4). Organize your life. Purchase a key rack and place it right inside your door. Make it a habit to put your keys on the rack as soon as you get home. Build a shoe rack and keep your shoes in one place. Use to-do lists. Write down your tasks in a small notebook that you carry with you. Refer to that notebook throughout your day. Buy a calendar for all of your appointments.
- 5). Improve your focus. Give all your attention to the job you are doing. Concentrate on the person you are meeting so you can remember her name later. Turn off phones and music to increase your level of concentration. Practice focusing on the message you are writing instead of scribbling it on a notepad absent-mindedly.
- 6). Keep socially active. Volunteer at the local homeless shelter or food bank. Invite friends to your house for a barbeque. Go visit your children and grandchildren. Bring cookies to your next door neighbor. Attend your wife's friend's daughters wedding, even if you do not feel like it.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Stay With Us